Do good, beef up resume: Firm offers internship placement in nonprofits

Economic downturns have the potential to inspire creative problem solving and bring about greater efficiency.

A group of students and alumni have taken advantage of the Great Recession and accomplished just that. University students should take advantage of their work.

Micro-Consulting for North Carolina is an organization that lets students looking for internship experience work with nonprofits. The economic downturn has left many nonprofits scrambling for money, which of course means it’s harder for them to pay for even basic functions.

Luckily, many students are happy to work for free. And in today’s market, students with real-world job experience are sought after.

Certainly, cash is always a plus, but what many students really need is the experience.

That’s where the ingenuity of this organization comes in. Its student manpower seeks to help the more than 5,000 nonprofits in the Triangle area. The organization recognizes both party’s needs — the potential for productive students to help nonprofits and vice versa.

Micro-Consulting for North Carolina assists nonprofits in many areas: data management, grant assistance, information technology solutions, startup services, bookkeeping and budgeting.

This experience can set graduating students apart in the job market. Working with a nonprofit through Micro-Consulting for North Carolina also provides the satisfaction of filling a nonprofit’s needs.

And apart from the experience, it gives students a chance to interact with professionals and form those ever-important professional social networks.

Students who have appropriate skill sets should look into working with Micro-Consulting for North Carolina.

To find out more, students can go to www.mcfornc.org. There’s more information about the organization and how to get involved.