As one of the organizers of the gender-neutral language teach-in, I have been very disappointed with The Daily Tar Heel’s subsequent coverage of the event and its demands.

Rather than publishing measured dialogue on gender, language and modern feminist concerns, the DTH has chosen to prominently feature sarcastic, anti-academic arguments against neutrality. It has failed to include even one anti-gender-neutral letter that does not resort to ridicule and contempt.

Editor-in-Chief Andrew Dunn himself did not actually attend the teach-in, which was attended by more than 100 concerned community members.

In his hastily written editorial, (“Gender neutral: Let’s find the best way to address gender inequities”, March 19) he implored the UNC-Chapel Hill community to get to the root of the problem, but did not include any suggestions as to what these foundations are or how to address them. Dunn clearly wrote his opinion piece with little to no background on feminist concerns. Why didn’t Dunn make every effort to learn about all sides of the issue before making judgments?

Many scholars at UNC-CH and around the world use a societal model to examine harmful attitudes toward women and LGBTQ-identified individuals.

Some of these include the commodification of their bodies in advertising, the mainstream acceptance of pornography, homophobic attitudes (“That’s so gay!”), men’s perpetual violence against women and, yes, non-inclusive language.

All of these seemingly unimportant attitudes and behaviors work together to create an environment that is often hostile or unsafe for women.

Simple changes that help move us even slightly closer to a safer, more equal society are stepping stones to wider change.

Leah Josephson
Junior
Journalism, French

Editor’s note: Read a response
here.