Sunday September 26th

Eve Marie Carson Memorial Garden unveiled today

Will honor memory of all UNC students who have died

Former Student Body President Eve Carson inspired the garden.
Buy Photos Former Student Body President Eve Carson inspired the garden.

“Learn from every single being, experience, and moment. What joy it is to search for lessons and goodness and enthusiasm in others.”

Those words were written by former Student Body President Eve Carson in a letter to a graduating friend. They have now been carved into a marble wall, one of several items to be unveiled at 4 p.m. today during the dedication of the Eve Marie Carson Garden.

“It summarizes her outlook on interactions with people and her time spent at UNC,” said Thomas Edwards, director of the Eve Marie Carson Scholarship.

Friday marks the two-year anniversary of Carson’s death. She was shot to death in a neighborhood off East Franklin Street.

Dedication

Time: 4 p.m. today
Location: Off Polk Place, behind the Campus Y

The garden, constructed in memory of Carson and other students who died during their time at UNC, features a variety of flowers and shrubs which were among Carson’s favorites.

Jill Coleman, the University’s landscape architect, said the garden includes a range of flowers.

“There are several different types of plants that make up the garden,” Coleman said. “Some of these are flowering dogwoods, gardenias and bulbs that will bloom next year. These flowers are not only some of Eve’s favorites, they also commemorate her life and death.”

Edwards said the garden was meant to beautify campus and honor deceased students in an uplifting way.

“This is an appropriate memorial to Eve and other students that have died during their time at the University,” Edwards said.

“It is a peaceful, beautiful place for students to go and remember the good times that they had with those they might have lost.”

The garden is located on Polk Place behind Campus Y.

Coleman said the garden is both a reflection of Carson and of the campus as a whole.

“Eve loved that part of campus. She worked closely to the Campus Y and loved the grassy quad,” she said. “It is in the center of campus and an area that everyone can enjoy.”

Chancellor Holden Thorp, Student Body President Jasmin Jones and Bob Winston, chairman of the Board of Trustees, will be among the speakers at the dedication ceremony.

“I want students to see what the garden will mean to campus,” Jones said.

“It is a place where students can go to contemplate life and how beautiful it is.”

Welcome Back Edition 2021