Former ambassadors discuss diplomacy, international relations

UNC students interested in diplomacy and international relations will get a chance to hear from two former ambassadors tonight.

Sir Christopher Meyer and Ambassador Richard Armitage will speak at a panel called “Can Diplomats Justify Their Existence?” at 8 p.m. tonight in the Nelson Mandela Auditorium of the FedEx Global Education Center.

Meyer was the British ambassador to the United States from 1997-2003. He has also recently published a book titled, “Getting Our Way: 500 Years of Adventure and Intrigue: The Inside Story of British Diplomacy.”

He is currently teaching Honors 353, “Empire and Diplomacy: The British Empire and British Diplomacy,” in conjunction with UNC professor and moderator of the panel, Theodore Leinbaugh.

“I think this is an unusual opportunity for students to meet people who do work at the highest echelons,” Leinbaugh said.

Armitage was the Deputy Secretary of State under Colin Powell from 2001-05. He played an instrumental role in negotiations preventing a nuclear crisis between India and Pakistan during his tenure.

Meyer and Armitage have worked together on diplomatic ventures before.

“We worked closely on many issues,” Meyer wrote in an e-mail.

The two will talk about the importance of diplomacy in the modern world.

“I believe we should be able to convince our audience that diplomats can, do and must justify their existence,” Meyer wrote.

“It is an interdependent world in which many problems cannot be solved by one nation alone.”

The event is free and open to the public.