Johnson takes starting reins for UNC softball

Spaulding nurses nagging injury

North Carolina ace Danielle Spaulding suffered a hand injury that shortened her playing time.

What’s ailing the No. 19 North Carolina softball team is a simple question with a much more complicated answer.

Although UNC’s bats have not shown up consistently, the Tar Heels will not be able to stay within striking distance of their opponents unless their recent pitching woes are resolved.

Since the loss of two-time ACC Player of the Year Danielle Spaulding, fellow senior Amber Johnson has pitched 61 innings in 12 days.

“She’s pitched so many games to make up for me,” Spaulding said.

Over those 12 days, North Carolina dropped five of its 11 games — with Johnson starting all but three of those games.

“Going into today’s game, I kind of had the mind-set of doing as much as I can to give Amber a break,” said Spaulding, who started back-to-back games in this weekend’s series against the Wolfpack.

Whatever rest the Tar Heels had hoped to get for her in those three games has been squandered, as Johnson was called on in relief in each game.

Moreover, in those three relief appearances, she threw less than four innings just once.

Spaulding said that kind of workload has taken a toll on Johnson’s body. That toll was obvious over the weekend, as the senior continually got herself into jams against rival N.C. State.

The fourth inning of Sunday’s loss was the most glaring example.

After giving up two runs earlier in the inning, Johnson had loaded the bases with two outs.

Unable to throw strikes in the high-pressure situation, Johnson walked in a run.

Johnson, who has allowed an average of under two walks per seven innings pitched, has not had control problems in the past. The walk was the only one she allowed in Sunday’s game.

Johnson has already appeared in four more games than she did as a junior, and North Carolina is only halfway through its season.

The Tar Heels need Spaulding to pitch routinely, even if she’s not at 100 percent, to allow Johnson to be as effective as possible.

Spaulding was closer to full strength in Saturday’s win against N.C. State, when she earned her ninth win of the season after pitching a strong 5 1/3 innings — allowing only three hits and a walk with eight strikeouts.

On Sunday, Spaulding seemed to take a step back, as she threw only 1 2/3 innings before being pulled in favor of Johnson.

Pitching coach Beverly Smith attributed it to Spaulding’s fatigue.

“She was still sore from yesterday,” Smith said. “Our hope was that she could come back and get through the lineup.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.