London Philharmonic to visit Chapel Hill

One of only four stops on U.S. tour

London Philharmonic Orchestra Conductor Vladimir Jurowski will lead tonight’s show. Photo Courtesy of Carolina Performing Arts

Correction (March 4 12:31 a.m.): Due to a reporting error, an earlier version of this story incorrectly stated that the orchestra would stop in Newport, Va. It will stop in Newport News, Va. The story has been updated to reflect the correction. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for the error.

Chapel Hill is in elite company this week.

Memorial Hall is one of only four venues that will host The London Philharmonic Orchestra on its exclusive U.S. tour, which includes stops in New York City, Long Island, NY, and Newport News, Va.

The orchestra will perform tonight and Wednesday night and has different programs planned for each night.

Attend the Concert

Time: 7:30 p.m. today and Wednesday
Location: Memorial Hall
Info: carolinaperformingarts.org

The London Philharmonic is a world-renowned orchestra in its 77th season.

Carolina Performing Arts Executive Director Emil Kang said that UNC will be in the presence of greatness this week.

“They’ve had a string of incredibly world-renowned conductors,” he said. “They’ve had a lot of time to develop over the years.”

UNC Symphony Orchestra’s conductor, Tonu Kalam, said that the quality of the players sets the London Philharmonic apart from the rest.

“London is one of the most important musical capitals of the world,” he said. “I think it is a great opportunity for our students and the local population to go hear a world-class orchestra.”

Chapel Hill’s inclusion on this prestigious tour indicates a surge in Carolina Performing Arts’ global reputation.

Carolina Performing Arts marketing director Harry Kaplowitz said that the program’s burgeoning reputation has built on successes of the past to attract prominent artists from around the world.

“Carolina Performing Arts is a growing presence in the global field,” Kaplowitz said. “We’ve played host to a lot of great orchestras, and that speaks to our global reputation. We’re working hard to build up a positive reputation.”

Tonight’s performance will include well-known pieces by Ludwig van Beethoven and Johannes Brahms.

Kalam predicts that Wednesday night’s program, which samples from 20th century pieces by Maurice Ravel and Dmitri Shostakovich, will attract a very different audience.

“The second night will probably attract a younger, more adventurous audience because that program is out of the mainstream,” he said.

Conductor Vladimir Jurowski will lead the orchestra, and tonight’s show will feature violinist Yossif Ivanov. Wednesday’s show will feature Alexander Toradze on the piano.

The London Philharmonic Orchestra is drawing a significant amount of student interest.

“This and ‘The Nutcracker’ are the two most popular performances of the year,” Kang said. “It seems bizarre, doesn’t it?”

More than 1,000 student tickets have been sold. A limited number of tickets are still available.

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu