Police Log for March 17, 2010

A 19-year-old Durham man was charged with misdemeanor attempted larceny after trying to steal a sign at Smith Middle School in Chapel Hill at 1 a.m. Tuesday, according to Chapel Hill police reports. Randall David Strand-Poole was released on a written promise to appear in court, reports state.

Two $300 iPod Touches were reported stolen at East Chapel Hill High School on Monday, according to Chapel Hill police reports. One was taken from a locker room between 9 a.m. and 9:45 am., and the other was taken from a coach’s office between 8:45 a.m. and 9:35 a.m., reports state.

An iPod Touch was taken from a teacher’s desk at Grey Culbreth Middle School at 9:56 a.m. Monday, according to Chapel Hill police reports. Since January, students at the school have been encouraged to bring to school or be assigned iPod Touches to have protected Internet access during class time.

Someone used a rock to break a window at Carolina Financial Inc. and then entered the building and rummaged between 6 p.m. Sunday and 7:35 a.m. Monday at 217 Providence Road, according to Chapel Hill police reports. Damage to the window totaled $200, reports state.

Someone broke the passenger side window of a 2002 Ford Explorer between 1 p.m. and 5:25 p.m. Monday in a parking lot at 101 Europa Drive, according to Chapel Hill police reports.
Damage to the window totaled $180, reports state.

Someone took a bag and a U.S. passport from an unsecured vehicle between 12:30 p.m. and 3:18 p.m. Saturday on Plant Road, according to Chapel Hill police reports.