Thursday May 26th

Senate candidates stances on U.S. military, security

In preparation for the May 4 Democratic primary, which will decide who challenges incumbent Republican U.S. Sen. Richard Burr, The Daily Tar Heel will present the following Democratic candidates’ stances on key political issues, as well as Burr’s. Burr was first elected to the office in 2004, and this is his first time up for re-election. The Daily Tar Heel has opted to include only the frontrunners of the Democratic race.

Ken Lewis (D)
Attorney, Durham

-Supports the Obama administration’s troop surge in Afghanistan.

-Supports Obama’s policy of helping Pakistan in its efforts to eliminate al Qaeda safe havens on the border of Pakistan and Afghanistan using a counterinsurgency strategy.

-Against the use of torture and preemptive strikes in fight against terrorism.

Cal Cunningham (D)
former N.C. senator, Lexington

-Supports Obama’s troop surge in Afghanistan.

-Supports Obama’s policy of helping Pakistan in its efforts to eliminate al Qaeda safe havens on the border of Pakistan and

-Afghanistan using a counterinsurgency strategy.

-Wants to develop a civilian corps to complement the armed services and provide logistics, civil governance, public works, information technology and linguist services.

Elaine Marshall (D)
N.C. Secretary of State, Raleigh

-Does not support Obama’s troop surge in Afghanistan.

-Supports using political and diplomatic pressure on the Pakistani government to eliminate al Qaeda safe havens along the border between Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Richard Burr(R)
U.S. senator, Winston-Salem

-Opposes setting timelines or deadlines for troop withdrawal.

The Daily Tar Heel Victory Paper for March 7, 2022