Students demonstrate against tuition hikes

Skit organized by variety of groups

Seniors Rakhee Devasthali and Scott Williams and freshman Alison Gover at a “street theater” demonstration. DTH/Kelsi Oliver

Correction (March 3 2:55 p.m.): Due to a reporting error, this story misstates former Chancellor James Moeser’s salary for the 2009-10 school year. He earns $390,835. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for the error.

Students donned graduation caps and waved signs Monday in the Pit, using a five minute skit to illustrate their anger at the administration in regards to budget cuts and increasing tuition.

For the national “Take A Stand: Defend Education” program, students staged the skit as part of a weeklong demonstration against what they say is the privatization of higher education.

During the skit, approximately 15 students played the parts of bankers, administrators and students engaged in a system of tuition increases and loans. About 10 onlookers attended the event.

“No, we aren’t going to help you pay more for school — take out a loan. Put more money in my pocket,” said Rakhee Devasthali in a characterization of Board of Trustees members’ attitudes toward students.

On March 4, the students plan to hold a “peaceful sit-in” at South Building at 4 p.m. to protest against the administration on the “National Day of Action to Defend Education.”

“We’ll march to South Building, the administration building, and make our voices against the cuts to education and for equal access to education for all loud and clear!” the event’s Facebook group states.

The students will also host a film screening Wednesday at 7 p.m. in Gardner room 105 to discuss budget cuts, privatization and access to higher education.

More than 25 states plan to celebrate Thursday’s National Day of Action to Defend Education, protesting budget cuts, tuition hikes, the re-segregation of public schools and the right to equal access to education for undocumented students.

UNC’s protests are spearheaded by individuals involved in a variety of student organizations, including Feminist Students United, Student Action with Workers, Students for a Democratic Society, the Political Action Committee of the Black Student Movement and the Sierra Club, among others.

Andy Koch, a student involved in UNC’s week of action, said he and the other groups are hoping to organize students to become involved in the tuition and budget process.

“All decisions are made by faculty,” he said.

Two undergraduate students, Student Body President Jasmin Jones and Student Body Vice President David Bevevino, sit on the tuition and fee advisory task force, the group with which tuition proposals originate.

Bevevino said student government is working to encourage legislators to return to students a $200 tax taken from tuition to support the state’s budget shortfall.

“Students’ tuition should be seen on the campuses, and UNC-system President Erskine Bowles is working toward this,” Bevevino said.

But the student protesters have outlined more expansive goals, including increasing corporate taxes, elimination of “corporate kickbacks,” and “chop from the top,” or funds paid to administrators.

“Our ex-Chancellor James Moeser is getting paid $420,000 for co-teaching one music class on campus,” Devasthali said.

Tuition increases help pay for financial aid, faculty retention and academic services. This year’s increase will bring in about $4 million. UNC’s total revenue is about $2.3 billion.