Two music groups to premier original piece tonight

Tonight, in an intimate, simplistic setting, experimental music groups Brooklyn Rider and 2 Foot Yard will share the stage with audience members.

These up and coming groups, both from New York, will perform together for the first time at a sold- out show at 7:30 p.m. in Memorial Hall. They will premiere a new work commissioned by Carolina Performing Arts.

“What brings them together is that both groups have incredible, diverse interests, and they have influences that span the globe,” said Emil Kang, executive director for the arts and director of Carolina Performing Arts.

Brooklyn Rider is a string quartet that has performed around the world and collaborated with famous artists, including Yo-Yo Ma.

2 Foot Yard defines itself as an experimental pop trio. Members use vocals, violin, cello, guitar and percussion to play amplified and electrified music.

Kang described their work as “blazing the trail and defining what these instruments can do.”

Both groups’ music is heavily influenced by their world travels, exploring multiple genres.

Carolina Performing Arts commissioned Brooklyn Rider and 2 Foot Yard to collectively create a new piece. Following an intermission, both groups will perform the world premiere of the piece, “A Blue Hat Washed Up On Shore.”

Inspired by the book “Einstein’s Dreams,” the groups will use a mixture of music, vocals and narration to encompass a fictional series of dreams that influence Einstein’s theory of relativity.

This is Carolina Performing Arts only commission this year.

“The opportunity to give an avenue for artists to create new works is part of our mission,” said Harry Kaplowitz, Carolina Performing Arts’ marketing manager. “The audience getting to see new pieces that come into the world is really special.”

Brooklyn Rider and 2 Foot Yard will each perform three original pieces. Then Brooklyn Rider will accompany 2 Foot Yard on two songs.

Those attending will enter through a back door and take their seats on a “loading dock” stage that will have several tiers.

The unique setting will allow the music makers and listeners to connect on a more personal level.

“One of the hallmarks is that every audience is different—that’s one of the most important things to us,” Kang said. “We don’t care where they come from, it’s that they have a good experience.”

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.