UNC softball struggles without ace

Ga. Tech blanks UNC on Sunday

The North Carolina softball team wanted revenge against Georgia Tech this weekend.

In its final regular season series last year, the Yellow Jackets swept the Tar Heels — keeping them from entering the ACC Tournament as the No. 1 seed.

That bid for revenge came up short as the Tar Heels dropped two of three on the weekend while without senior Danielle Spaulding, the team’s best pitcher, after she was hit in the hand by a pitch last weekend.

“I wanted to pitch against them because they kind of rocked me last year,” Spaulding said.

Senior pitcher Amber Johnson took the mound in all three games over the weekend, earning a win and two losses in the series.

“She has really stepped up for us,” senior right fielder Anna Roberts said.

The Yellow Jackets jumped on Johnson early on Sunday, swatting a three-run homer in the top of the first inning.

Johnson displayed the same resiliency the Tar Heels have seen from her all season, as she allowed only two runs over the game’s final six innings to keep North Carolina within striking distance.

UNC was unable to keep up with the Yellow Jackets, however, as it was no-hit in the final game of the series.

“It’s really disappointing to not get any hits,” coach Donna Papa said.

“I think that we really beat ourselves,” Spaulding added. “We have to have offense to win a ball game.”

It was the first time the Tar Heels had been no-hit since a February loss at Texas, their second game of the season.

In the first game of a double-header on Saturday, UNC fell to Georgia Tech 16-1, with eight of those runs being charged to Johnson before she was pulled after three innings of work. Six were earned.

She bounced back in the second game, showing that resiliency by throwing a complete-game and allowing only three runs with nine strikeouts in an 8-3 UNC win.

UNC has relied heavily on Johnson since Spaulding, the two-time ACC Player of the Year, was injured. In Spaulding’s absence, Johnson has made five starts — throwing 30 innings and posting a 2-3 record.

“I want to give Amber a lot of credit for going out there,” Papa said. “She gutted it out this week with Dani being hurt.”

The matchup also pitted  the top two contenders for ACC Player of the Year against each other.

Spaulding didn’t pitch but was able to contribute from the plate, going 3-for-9 with two RBIs.

Ga. Tech second baseman Jen Yee smashed two home runs while going 4-for-8 with four RBIs.

Spaulding acknowledged that her crown as the top player in the ACC could be in jeopardy after Yee’s dominant performance.

“If that’s what happens, she deserves it,” Spaulding said.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.