Author of summer reading book shares her insight

Picking Cotton, a memoir by Jennifer Thompson-Cannino and Ronald Cotton, is the 2010  summer reading book.
Picking Cotton, a memoir by Jennifer Thompson-Cannino and Ronald Cotton, is the 2010 summer reading book.

This year’s summer reading book selection is a moving memoir, Picking Cotton.

After forming a very unlikely friendship, Jennifer Thompson-Cannino and Ronald Cotton have shared their story with the world.

Thompson-Cannino, who was raped when she was a college student, picked 22-year-old Ronald Cotton out of a physical line-up as her assailant.

Eleven years after his conviction, Cotton was exonerated after new DNA tests were conducted.

Thompson-Cannino was left with the guilt of helping convict an innocent man, while Cotton was left trying to piece his life back together.

Picking Cotton is a memoir of the case that changed both of their lives, and the unexpected friendship that grew from this tragedy.

Jennifer Thompson-Cannino sat down to answer a couple of questions about the book and her inspiring story.

Q: Why did you and Ronald Cotton decide to write Picking Cotton?

A: The story was actually written years ago as we experienced it. We have done a lot of work dealing with judicial reform and we felt it was important to get the story and message in the hands of the general public.

Q: What was the biggest challenge while writing the book?

A: It was very difficult to locate old paperwork dealing with the case, especially letters Ronald wrote in prison and other personal items that had been discarded. It was also difficult to bring up parts from the past that are really not that pleasant.

Q: How do you feel about you book being chosen for UNC’s summer reading assignment?

A: Ronald and I were incredibly proud and honored that UNC thought our story was strong and compelling enough to be picked this year.

Q: What is the most important thing that you want readers to bring away from Picking Cotton?

A: There are several things I want readers to bring away from the book. Probably the most important being, every choice we make affects our future. It is our responsibility to make them wisely.

I also want readers to know that they do not need to let pain and tragedy tie them down, and it is our responsibility to make sure they don’t. Forgiveness is also a major lesson taught through our story.

Q: Do you have a message for UNC students today?

A: I would just say that I challenge the students to step up to the plate and take responsibility for their actions and understand that there is always an impact from our decisions.