Census specialist urges N.C. immigrants to send in form

Undocumented immigrants worry about ?lling out form

Correction (April 4 11:21 p.m.): Due to reporting and editing errors, this story incorrectly states that Thursday was the due date for returning U.S. Census forms. Although April 1 is designated Census Day, the forms will be accepted through mid-April. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for the error.

Her message for Latino immigrants is simple: for them to count, to have a voice, they must fill out the 2010 Census.

Dayling Tolan, a Census Bureau partnership specialist, is one of an increased number of Latino census workers hired to promote the census in Latino communities.

Based on census population estimates, North Carolina saw a 79 percent increase in the Hispanic/Latino population from 2000 to 2008. Wake County, which includes Raleigh, saw a 121 percent increase and Orange County saw a 51 percent increase.

But it’s likely that these populations won’t be fully counted due to some undocumented residents’ fear that releasing their personal information will put them at legal risk.

The information collected by the census will help the federal government distribute about $400 billion in funds, but for every uncounted person, the state misses out on an estimated $1,500 in federal funding, said Bob Coats, the governor’s census liaison and a North Carolina State Data Center coordinator.

If the growing Latino population isn’t recognized in its entirety, the state will not receive sufficient federal funding to provide Latinos with vital community resources.

Fear of the questionnaire

Tolan, a native of Venezuela, spoke to students in Wake Technical Community College’s English as a Second Language classes March 17.

She has been tasked with reaching out to Latinos in more than 12 eastern N.C. counties.

More than 100 presentations later, Tolan said no one has openly told her why they will not fill out a census form, but she knows many undocumented immigrants are concerned they will be turned in to the authorities if they give out their personal information.

She dedicates the majority of the presentation time to emphasizing the confidentiality of the census.

Data collected by the census is protected by Title 13 of the U.S. Code, which states that:

-private information is never published

-the information collected is used for statistics

-anyone who publicizes the information can be jailed for up to five years or be fined up to $250,000.

Coats said there are no questions about documentation on the census. There are only questions about citizenship on the American Community Survey, which is a longer census form that is sent to a random sampling of homes.

“You would probably answer more detailed questions in applying for a credit card than on a census questionnaire,” he said.

Importance of counting Latinos

Tony Asion, director of Raleigh-based Latino advocacy group El Pueblo, said it’s important for lawmakers to recognize the increasing percentage of Latinos that make up their constituency.

While Asion acknowledges that some undocumented Latinos don’t want to fill out the census because of a fear of confidentiality, he said others feel taken advantage of.

“They’re saying, if undocumented workers don’t count for anything, then why count for the census so the state can get money for them,” he said. “Obviously we don’t agree with that … but I understand both points of view.”

Coats said he sees how some might feel ignored by the government, but the census numbers are necessary to develop programs to help Latinos.

“If you felt like you’ve been missed in the past, the wrong thing to do is say you’ll be missed in the future,” he said. “We can only plan for the future if we know you’re there.”

Latino response

Students in the class, Rafael Lopéz, from Honduras, and Rosa Calderon, from the Dominican Republic, said they learned about the census from Spanish and English media, including television, radio and Web sites. They have already mailed their forms.

But Carla Carrillo, from Mexico, said two of her friends are worried because, despite being told otherwise, they believe the information could be used by officials trying to target undocumented immigrants.

“I told them don’t worry, but they don’t believe me,” Carrillo said.

She said she thinks presentations like Tolan’s help, though.

“Other students who were afraid before can learn about the census. We can go tell our other friends that it’s good to be counted.”

Q&A: Making Sense of the Census

Today is Census Day, the due date for filling out and returning the 2010 U.S. Census forms.

The information gathered by the census — conducted every 10 years — is used to allocate federal funds, draw voting districts and determine the number of representatives for each state in the U.S. House of Representatives.

In the coming months, census workers will begin to visit households that did not turn in a census form. The compiled census information is required to be presented to President Barack Obama by Dec. 31.

Here are answers to questions you might have about the census.                                

- Compiled by Jeremiah Gregg

Is my information secure?

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, personal information is not shared with any other public or private entity for 72 years. Any breach of privacy is subject to a $250,000 fine and/or 5 years in jail.

Can I be penalized for not filling out my census form?

Yes. Failure to complete the census could result in a $5,000 fine.

If I live in campus housing, do I have to fill out a form?

UNC fills out census information for all people in campus housing.

Do I fill out the census if I am still a dependent of my parents?

Yes. The census counts individuals according to where they live now.

If my parents put me on their census form, do I still need to fill one out?

Yes. They should not have included you, and you are still required to fill out a form.

What happens if I’m included on more than one form?

The U.S. Census Bureau has programs and methods for checking and making sure a single individual is not counted more than once.

How does the census help me as a college student?

Census data is used to help calculate how much money is allocated for federally funded scholarships, grants and student loans.

If I don’t think I was counted, where can I go to get or fill out a form?

There are four “Be Counted” sites in Orange County where you can get a census form:

-UPS Store, 1818 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, Chapel Hill

-Carrboro PTA Store, 103 Jones Ferry Road, Carrboro

-Carrboro Century Center, 100 N. Greensboro St., Carrboro

-Orange County Planning Dept., 131 W. Margaret Lane, Hillsborough.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.