Don’t disrupt speech: Protesters should let Tancredo speak; the former congressman’s ideas will do enough to discredit him

Protestors have promised that resistance to today’s visit by former U.S. Rep. Tom Tancredo, R-Colo., will not go unnoticed.

Last year, when UNC students gathered to protest Tancredo’s presence, a window was broken, pepper spray was in the air and the former U.S. congressman’s speech was cut drastically short to only about five minutes.

This go-round, the student body must respect Tancredo’s right to free speech, regardless of how offensive he might be.

By all means, voice your opposition to the man who recently called for President Barack Obama to return to Kenya.

But protest in an organized, respectable fashion that will not impede on Tancredo’s ability to speak.

Exercising restraint will strengthen the legitimacy of your objections.

Rancorous, chaotic protesting will only serve to diminish your credibility as level-headed, serious opposition.

Yes, Tancredo is clearly a xenophobe with controversial, and often offensive views.

But when his speeches are interrupted, his image as a fire-stoking, rabble-rouser is only strengthened. His extremism is much of the reason he is still a well-known public figure.

The last time Tancredo was interrupted, Chancellor Holden Thorp rightly decided to compensate Youth for Western Civilization for the cost of hosting Tancredo, which totaled $3,000.

We certainly would not want the University to have to pay for another one of Tancredo’s colorful orations.

Make no mistake, he will keep coming back until he is able to speak without interruption.

Thankfully, the University is taking greater steps to control possible aggressive opposition.

Guidelines provided by the Office of the Dean of Students state that students who attempt to disrupt the event will be warned, removed and possibly arrested on a second offense.

Regardless of opinion, everyone has the right to speak. So let Tancredo make a fool out of himself by allowing him to speak.