Early voting numbers still low in N.C. primaries

One-stop early voting ends Saturday

Voters have until Saturday to vote early in the primaries.

Although turnout is lower than it was during the 2008 primaries, it has been typical of a primary season in which there is no presidential race, said Tracy Reams, Orange County Board of Elections director.

The latest numbers show that 71,994 voters across the state have cast their ballots through the absentee or one-stop voting process so far this year, according to the State Board of Elections website.

Early Voting

One-Stop Voting Locations in Orange County
Orange County Board of Elections office, 208 S. Cameron St., Hillsborough
Morehead Planetarium and Science Center, 250 E. Franklin St.
Dates and times
8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday

That’s well short of the 312,447 people who voted absentee or one-stop in the 2008 Democratic primary for U.S. Senate.

But the UNC Young Democrats and College Republicans are working together to increase the turnout by encouraging students to vote early, said David Murray, vice president of the Young Democrats.

Members of both organizations will be in the Pit this week reminding students that they can vote at the Morehead Planetarium.

“If we get a student to vote now, they’re definitely going to vote in November,” Murray said.

He also said the Young Democrats plan to implement the same strategies they used in the 2008 presidential election with a particular emphasis on registering the student demographic and publicizing relevant races.

Jason Sutton, spokesman for the UNC College Republicans, said the organization is focusing on the general elections in November, where incumbent Sen. Richard Burr, R-N.C., will face the winner of the Democratic primary.

“The College Republicans are looking forward to the end of early voting and the beginning of the work of replacing Democrats and helping Republicans retain their seats,” Sutton said.

But some students say early voting conflicts with their schedule.

Heather Hosey, a junior journalism major from Virginia, said although she is registered to vote in North Carolina, she is not planning on taking advantage of early voting.

She said she plans to vote after her exams are completed so she will have time to accurately assess the candidates.

“I haven’t been following the elections enough lately to vote intelligently,” she said.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.