Flight of the Phoenix

Communities should embrace alternative high schools as a way to ensure that all students get an education

Some students take a different path with their approach to education. Not everyone can or should be treated the same.

Alternative high schools like Phoenix Academy offer a great solution by giving students another choice.

Although the school started 12 years ago, it wasn’t officially recognized until July of last year.

The individualized, intimate setting provides an option for students who might otherwise graduate from a more traditional high school.

The school serves 43 students who, for some reason or another, have specific needs that a traditional high school couldn’t offer them.

Some students get sidetracked. Others have obligations that take them away from their studies. But regardless, all students deserve an opportunity to reach their potential.

Now these students have an alternate route to post-secondary education, whether it be community college, technical college or a four-year university.

What makes Phoenix Academy — and others like it — work so well is its small size. Teachers are able to tailor to the specific needs of their students.

When officials evaluate education reform, granting students alternative means for reaching their goals should never be overlooked. Far too often, educators fail to look for solutions outside the box.

The traditional, middle-class high school student who graduates in four years with a number of Advanced Placement credits is something that many in this University setting might take for granted.

But many students in high school don’t graduate this way.

This is why it is important to for school systems to offer alternative approaches to secondary education, like Phoenix Academy does.