GenerAction Week launches service activities

GenerAction Week, which begins its series of service events today, seeks to become not just a yearly UNC staple but something that sticks with students every day of the year.

Its organizers call it the launch of a “social movement” looking for creative ways to engage high school- and college-aged youths in social action and volunteerism.

The movement operates under the nonprofit umbrella of the East African Children’s Education Fund, a group created in 2007 by sophomore Andrew Sugrue to raise the standard of education in East Africa and foster the spirit of philanthropy in youth around the rest of the world.

GenerAction Week

GenerAction is coordinating
service events with campus organizations all week. Each event is open to a limit number of participants. To find out how to get involved, head to bit.ly/GenerAction.

Today’s events include:
3:30 p.m. Easter egg hunt at Rashkis Elementary with Zeta Tau Alpha

6:30 p.m. Write letters to families and patients at the Ronald McDonald House and the N.C. Children’s Hospital at the Alpha Delta Pi house

7 p.m. Write letters to troops in Gardner Hall with the College Republicans and Big Buddy

7:30 p.m. Social Action Speaker Series: Professor Ralph Byrns on the economics of service in Howell Hall, Room 104

GenerAction seeks to create that same spirit of philanthropy and service locally with a barrage of service opportunities from community and student organizations across campus.

At least 27 student organizations — including Young Democrats, College Republicans and the Order of the Bell Tower — have committed to participate, develop projects and present service opportunities for community members.

The events will range from races, dodgeball tournaments and Easter egg hunts to food drives and letter-writing.

A speaker series on social action will also bring voices to campus from the nonprofit and public service realms, with talks by:

-Ralph Byrns, UNC economics professor

-Liz McCartney, founder of the St. Bernard Project and 2008 CNN Hero of the Year.

-Clare Richardson, president and CEO of the DIAN Fossey Gorilla Fund.

The week will conclude Sunday with a concert featuring Sean Kingston, Addictive Nature, Allen Mask and The Urban Sophisticates.

GenerAction chose Kingston, 20, partly because he’s the same age as students, said John Harris, public relations director for the group.

“He’s a great voice to kick off this movement,” Harris added.

Gates to the concert open at 3:30 p.m. Saturday, and it will be held in a parking lot next to the Smith Center.

Tickets are $20 and available Student Union Box Office. Students who participate in GenerAction Week events are eligible to purchase tickets for half-price.