Help the hungry: Food donations low, but students can help out

For most of us, at least one of the meals consumed within the past week has had leftovers on one edge of the plate. In America, it seems unimaginable that people are starving or in need of food, but it is a reality, and one that is hitting us on a local level.

Even with reports that the economy is beginning to rebound, the Inter-Faith Council for Social Service continues feeding hungry people every day. The numbers are growing, and food agencies across North Carolina are struggling to keep up with the demand.

It is time that we step up and help our neighbors.

The newest face of hunger is not just the homeless lining the street, but people with mortgages and families.

According to the Jordan Institute for Families at UNC, in February, 129,589 people in Wake, Durham, Orange and Johnston counties benefitted from food assistance.

This figure is up 19.7 percent from last year, and was the biggest year-to-year rise since 2002.

With these astounding numbers in our own backyard, it is time we begin thinking about the food we consume and what we do with the food we discard.

So, at the beginning of the 2010 summer semester, a donation box will be located outside The Daily Tar Heel offices, making it very accessible for students to bring in dry food donations.

Judith Blau of the Human Rights Center in Carrboro and her sociology students agreed to partner with us and will be responsible for transportation of the donations to the council once a week. With about 30,000 students enrolled, UNC has an opportunity to make a serious difference in our community and lead by example for others in North Carolina.

Imagine the possibilities if every student donated one item per week. We could create incredible change in the UNC community.

For a list of items that can be donated or for more information, visit the Inter-Faith Council for Social Services’ Web site at www.ifcweb.org to find out how you can begin sharing.

We never know when we could end up on the other side of the fence.