Live from UNC

University commitment to upgrade to new e-mail system will provide overwhelming bene?ts

At long last, it looks as if UNC Webmail might soon be history.

Not long after Information Technology Services committed to upgrade faculty and staff to the Microsoft Exchange platform, it has committed to upgrading students to a similar system — Live@edu.

It couldn’t come fast enough. Webmail is hardly a competitive platform, and its user interface is poor. Changes to the system have at best been a marginal improvement.

A good Web-based e-mail system is inclusive. It brings students together and allows them to collaborate.

It certainly doesn’t drive them to forward their mail to their personal e-mail inboxes.

In this respect, Live@edu looks to be promising.

Collaboration seemingly couldn’t be easier. Even students who are committed to Google should recognize that the Microsoft Exchange platform allows students to coordinate meetings with faculty and staff.

Live@edu will provide this service and facilitate interaction between students, faculty and administrators.

Office Web Apps looks to be a valuable service that will let students upload, share and collaborate with files online.

Many students are increasingly leaning on lightweight netbooks or tablets that have minimal storage for their everyday computing needs.

As students spend more of their time shuffling between multiple computers, the SkyDrive cloud storage option is also likely to be a welcome feature. Students will be able to store data online for access from any Internet-connected device.

Student government has taken a laudable lead in the selection of this platform. The technology and Web services committee was involved, and former executive branch officers in the Jasmin Jones administration sent the recommendations for the platform.

It now falls to the Hogan Medlin administration to finalize the logistical elements of implementation.

In the end, students can look forward to what appears to be a far more efficient system that truly caters to students’ computing needs.