Marand delivers under pressure

Sanaz Marand, UNC’s No. 1 singles player, propelled the Tar Heels to a win against Duke. DTH/ Lauren Vied

She did it again.

For the second time this season, North Carolina tennis player Sanaz Marand defeated Duke opponent Ellah Nze in the final, decisive match to seal the victory for the Tar Heels (20-3, 7-0 ACC) on Wednesday.

Marand, a senior in her last match at Duke, was able to overcome the pressure of having the match on her shoulders and deliver a 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 victory.

Her game-winning performance broke the 3-3 tie with the No. 7 Blue Devils (17-3, 5-1) and gave the No. 2 Tar Heels their second victory against Duke this season.

“She’s always said, ‘I want the match to come down to me,’” UNC coach Brian Kalbas said. “You want somebody who wants that situation and that’s not going shy away from it.

“The final match comes down to her match, and she just comes through for the team with that experience and the senior leader that she’s been for us.”

Wednesday’s victory was the third 4-3 victory for the Tar Heels, two of which came against Duke. Both ended with a Marand three-set victory against Nze.

Marand’s first victory against Nze in February took the Tar Heels to the finals of the ITA National Team Indoor Championships.

Keeping up with her reputation of team leader, Marand led North Carolina throughout the match. Marand was the only UNC player to win both a singles and doubles match Wednesday.

Marand’s singles match was one of three matches in the contest that went to a third set.

North Carolina was down 3-1 heading into the conclusion of the three three-setters. The Tar Heels would have to win all three singles matches to pull out the victory.

After victories by fellow senior Katrina Tsang and sophomore Shinnan Featherson, Marand was put in the position to win the match with a win in the third set.

Marand assumed the high-pressure position when she was up 3-1 in the third set.

Marand held her serve throughout the third set, securing the win for the Tar Heels.

“I think that she doesn’t worry about anything that’s around her,” Kalbas said. “She just focuses in and is really able to concentrate really well, and I think she relishes that.”

After being put in game-changing situations multiple times this season, Marand said she has adjusted and has actually begun to enjoy them.

“I like it,” she said. “It puts the match in my control. It comes down to me, and I know I would do anything to get the victory.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.