Music Review: Asher Roth

Seared Foie-Gras with Quince and Cranberry

On Asher Roth’s 2009 debut, Asleep in the Bread Aisle, the pale and lanky MC set out to do a lot. Between emphatically condoning his approval of university life and preference for Lisa Turtle, Roth eloquently broke into diatribes concerning his similarity to Eminem, the War on Terror and race.

Roth’s latest French culinary-themed project doesn’t deal in serious issues. It’s more about “titties”, blunts and name-dropping Dutch basketball players from NBA Jam.

This is essentially rapping-under-the-influence: what Roth and running mates Boyder and Brian Bangley probably do in their downtime.

Music Review

Asher Roth
Hip-Hop
Dive verdict: 4 of 5 stars

It’s no surprise when the gruesome twosome appear with such goodies as, “Keeping it a hundo/I be wearing Umbros/Tell my girl I ain’t going to come home.”

Over a bunch of old “industry” beats, Roth’s slowed, stoned bars strike a charming balance of nonsense and articulated sophistication.

When Roth flips Kanye West’s Cam’ron beat “Down & Out,” the outcome, “Con-fid-ence,” is a solid appeal to the negativity surrounding hip-hop and his own haters.

Still, on tracks such as “F-ck Your Ringtone Dog,” absurdity prevails. The remixed Q-Tip and J Dilla track features a ton of quotables, but lines such as “I was fine ‘til your phone played Black Eyed Peas,” prove Roth nails his attempt at wit.

Lackadaisical lyrics about Dr. Octagon and vegetables over Madlib and 9th Wonder records are what make SFG appetizing. Roth is only out to rock his own swagger over some dope beats. Love him or hate him, Roth brings the heat for 55 minutes of feel-good hip-hop. When’s the last time your favorite rapper did that?