Saturday December 4th

Music Review: Wu-Massacre

Wu-Massacre
Buy Photos Wu-Massacre

The three most talented MCs from the Wu-Tang Clan alone on an album is like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich without the crust or starting with dessert. You get directly to the best part of the meal.

Masquerading as an LP when it’s really a glorified EP, Wu-Massacre is an updated, albeit stripped-down version of classic Wu-Tang LPs like Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers). Only 12 tracks and half an hour long, Ghostface Killah, Raekwon and Method Man don’t waste time with half-ass verses and filler skits, save a cameo by Tracy Morgan and an old-school interlude.

There are no surprises. RZA provides the best track, “Our Dreams,” a rich, soul-sampled burner featuring love-stricken verses from each MC. Raekwon continues to be the grimy poet. Ghost’s smooth delivery makes love to the mic. Method Man drops inexplicable rhymes that somehow make sense.

MUSIC REVIEW

Various Artits
Wu-Massacre
Rap
Dive verdict: 3.5 of 5 stars

Wu-Massacre is for those who tire of Inspectah Deck and U-God. It’s for those whose favorite tracks from Wu solo albums featured guests verses from these three MCs. Although failed replications of previous bangers are featured, the short side project does produce new classic such as “Gunshowers” and “Miranda” for the Wu canon as well.

Who needs bread anyway? With the unadulterated payoff of Wu-Massacre as an example, I think I might just start eating my peanut butter and jelly with a spoon.

The Daily Tar Heel for December 1, 2021