Noche Latina, CLC opening celebrate Latino culture

Archie Ervin speaks at the launch of the Carolina Latina/o Collaborative on Saturday. Courtesy of Brittany Peterson

For the UNC Latino community, Saturday was a day to celebrate.

With a speech from Chancellor Holden Thorp, colorful performances and heartfelt emotions from students, community members gathered for the opening of a long-awaited cultural center and an annual talent show.

The University has seen a 74 percent increase in Latino students between 2003 and 2008, according to a 2009 report on diversity. Community members said this shift has been evident on campus.

Latina/o Collaborative

Students celebrated the opening of the Carolina Latina/o Collaborative, which opened in the office suite of Craige North Residence Hall, representing the end of a journey that began in 2007 to turn the idea into reality.

“The CLC is a visible representation of our commitment to providing for the diversity on campus,” said Ron Strauss, executive associate provost, who was a part of the task force which proposed the new collaborative.

The center will serve as the premier place for students and the community to teach and learn about Latino issues and culture and will focus on scholarship, student life and community involvement.

The center’s development has been a result of the joint effort of the Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost and the Division of Student Affairs.

Noche Latina

An audience of about 200 cheered and laughed its way through “Noche Latina,” the Carolina Hispanic Association’s annual celebration of multicultural talent across campus.

“It’s the biggest cultural showcase for Latino culture on campus,” said Chispa treasurer Melodie Pellot-Hernandez.

The night’s performances ranged from a cappella to spoken word, from break dancing to traditional Latin American folkloric dancing.

“The organization wants to be at the forefront of promoting diversity on campus — and not just Latinos — all diversity,” said Adrian Lopez, Chispa secretary.