Pursue plea bargain

State should pursue a plea bargain for Atwater, avoiding a lengthy and emotionally traumatizing trial

To the relief of the UNC  community and former Student Body President Eve Carson’s family and friends, Demario James Atwater pleaded guilty Monday to federal charges related to Carson’s death.

Atwater’s plea bargain is the first big step in bringing long-needed closure in the wake of Carson’s death.

Now that federal prosecutors have ruled out the option of seeking the death penalty, it is up to the state court to decide whether or not to pursue capital punishment.

We urge Orange County District Attorney Jim Woodall to pursue a plea bargain with Atwater and not the death penalty.

Upholding the federal plea bargain would effectively end the trial process and prevent Carson’s family and peers from having to experience a long, painful and drawn-out legal battle.

Pursuing the death penalty would only prolong the emotional road to recovery in the wake of Carson’s death.

Legally, the decision made in federal court has no bearing on Atwater’s state charges.

But if the state does pursue capital punishment, prosecutors will be barraged with a highly contested jury selection, and — if convicted — a lengthy appeals and post-conviction process.

In other words, choosing not to pursue a plea could begin a grueling and expensive process for the state, and more importantly, prolong the pain and suffering of all individuals whose lives were touched by Carson.

Carson’s parents have made it clear that they do not wish for  prosecutors to pursue execution and have demonstrated their support for the federal ruling.

Now, it is up to Orange County District Attorney Jim Woodall to try to negotiate a plea bargain or go through with the trial process in pursuit of capital punishment.

A hearing is tentatively set for next week in state court, during which the district attorney could decide if he is satisfied with accepting a guilty plea for charges related to Carson’s death.

We strongly suggest Woodall not pursue capital punishment.

We all need justice to be served and for the traumatic legal proceedings surrounding Carson’s death to be locked up forever so we can all begin to move on.