Relay for Life event larger than last year

Students gather and reflect after the luminaries are lit Friday night. DTH/BJ Dworak

A giant inflatable slide, rock music and a bustling crowd gave Irwin Belk Track the look and sound of a fairground Friday and Saturday as thousands marched in support of the fight against cancer during this year’s Relay For Life.

The 20-hour fundraiser for cancer research had more than 2,300 registered participants and raised $196,427.85 as of the closing ceremony on Saturday.

Event co-chairwoman Coty Lee said the event was much bigger than last year, when it had only 2,000 registered participants.

“Relay has really taken off,” she said. “We love that we can put together something so big to celebrate, remember and fight back against cancer.”

The celebration began when Justin Singer, event co-chairman, asked the crowd, “Are you ready to relay?” He was met by a cacophony of cheering and applause that continued until he invited the almost 70 cancer survivors in attendance to take their victory lap — the official start of the relay.

After the pink-clad survivors completed their lap to the tune of the song “Don’t Stop Believin’” and further applause, everyone walked a lap together.

For many, Relay For Life was a good way to get involved on campus in support of  a good cause, though some people had more personal reasons for participating.

“I lost my mom to cancer when I was 13. I’ve been doing Relay ever since,” said sophomore Brooke Goodspeed, a Relay For Life committee member. “It’s a good way to unify people for the cause.”

Participants were treated to performances by a cappella groups and American Idol star Anoop Desai along with eating contests, a rave and a giant Twister game.

But it wasn’t all fun and games. At 9:30 p.m. Friday, a luminaria ceremony brought a more serious tone to the event with the lighting of more than 500 luminaria in remembrance of those that have lost their battles with cancer.

“It’s definitely the most somber part of Relay, but it’s really important for us to all realize why we do this and why we care so much,” Lee said.