Stop the spam

UCS should send out a daily e-mail instead of barrage

University Career Services provides a wonderful service for those going into the workforce.

But its incessant e-mails advertising networking events and job fairs are becoming more like spam every day.

E-mails from UCS are not sent to students based on a listserv subscription.

Instead, the e-mails are sent out to students based on their registration profile with UCS, which makes unsubscribing from these e-mails no easy task.

Students must go through the labyrinth of UCS’s website to keep the piles of internship information from hitting their inboxes.

Even if a student manages to accomplish this, he or she will not be free of all UCS e-mails, as some unsolicited mail still gets through because it is deemed “important information.”

But this is not the point. Students should still receive information regarding potential employment opportunities. But the information should be sent out judicially.

Instead of sending multiple e-mails out every single day, UCS should instead send out a “daily digest” with all pertinent career information packed concisely into one e-mail.

This would save everyone subscribed to UCS the headache of archiving or deleting potentially useless e-mails.

Besides, it’s not that the students here at UNC don’t want jobs.

But only a portion of the information coming from UCS is going to be relevant to each student.

So, UCS, if you heed our advice, you would make the UNC digital landscape a far more pleasant one.