UNC uses Earth Day to shed light on environmental causes

Juniors Alex Ward and Jenny Shen listen to professor Duane Deardorff. DTH/ Gladys Manzur

With blue skies and sunshine, promoting environmental ideals at the Earth Day Fair on Thursday was easy.

“The weather can help students appreciate the world around them and why the environment is important,” said Amy Preble, recycling and outreach coordinator for the Office of Waste Reduction and Recycling.

The Earth Day Fair is an traditional yearly event hosted by the environmental affairs committee of student government. Twelve student organizations and UNC departments promoted environmentally friendly practices and sustainable energy sources at the fair at Polk Place.

The Office of Waste Reduction and Recycling provided students with games, temporary tattoos and stickers to raise awareness about recycling. Games included a relay race in which two people competed to sort recyclables and a contest in which students attempted to throw cardboard flying discs into a dumpster to win prizes.

Students could also paint reusable canvas bags at the Sierra Student Coalition table.

The UNC Department of Physics and Astronomy had several demonstrations that showed how solar, mechanical and hydroelectric energy is converted.

“Since we, in the U.S., consume energy, there are some serious considerations on how to use energy efficiently and store energy,” said Duane Deardorff, a professor in the physics and astronomy department.

A poster of Chancellor Holden Thorp was placed on the walkway, and students were encouraged to post sticky notes with their ideas and concerns on his face.

“We are trying to get out the message that sustainability is important to our school and educating people on ways to get involved and what student government is doing,” said freshman Will Leimenstoll, one of the 2010-11 co-chairmen of the environmental affairs committee.

Other groups focused their attention on letting Thorp know their opinion on the environment.

Sophomore Taylor Timmerman and freshman Angela Ju of the Sierra Student Coalition highlighted their Beyond Coal campaign, urging UNC to move beyond coal and use more sustainable energy sources.

“I think Earth Day is a way to get people involved,” Timmerman said. “It’s also kind of like the New Year’s of environmental clubs. It’s a way to examine yourself and move throughout the year.”