We love college: Decision to require all students to spend one year in on-campus housing ensures best college experience

A UNC housing policy change will ensure freshmen gain the valuable experience and campus connection that living on campus provides.

Beginning in the fall of 2010, UNC freshmen will be required to live on campus for at least one full academic year. That includes all campus dorms and Granville towers.

There is currently no policy requiring students to live on campus during their tenure at UNC.

Living on campus is a critical component to becoming integrated in the UNC community.

Between residence hall social events or pick-up basketball on dorm courts, living on-campus inevitably brings students together.

To miss out on the freshmen on-campus experience — and the formative months of one’s social circle — would be to miss out on a key step in the growth and development that college breeds.

Rick Bradley, assistant director for housing at UNC, said that students living on campus are more likely to involve themselves in campus activities, both extracurricular and academic.

“Research shows that students are more likely to attend office hours and cultural events,” Bradley said.

“The administration felt there was an advantage to living on campus and being connected and part of the Carolina community the first year.”

And the advantages are innumerable. Many students can agree that getting to class is much easier from campus dorms than most off-campus locations.

And living with 800 relatable students of the same age certainly makes the transition from high school to college easier and more exciting.

Simply put, living on campus freshmen year is an experience that is unique, entertaining and formative.

It provides an environment in which students can learn from each other and grow, while encouraging campus involvement and integration.