Yates gets outplayed by freshman Renner

Quarterback passes for 184 yards

Redshirt freshman quarterback Bryn Renner went 15-of-21 for 184 yards and one touchdown at UNC’s Spring Game.  DTH/ BJ Dworak
Redshirt freshman quarterback Bryn Renner went 15-of-21 for 184 yards and one touchdown at UNC’s Spring Game. DTH/ BJ Dworak

Right after a demoralizing December bowl loss to Pittsburgh, North Carolina coach Butch Davis stood at a podium in the depths of Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte and proclaimed that his focus was already on the 2010 season.

Others — namely the team’s fans — weren’t choosing such a selective memory. And rightly so, especially when focusing on the Tar Heels’ offensive production, which finished tenth or worst in most notable passing categories in the ACC last year.

The brunt of that subsequent criticism, name-calling and coin-heaving fell on UNC quarterback T.J. Yates. The team’s backup, Bryn Renner, seemingly became a fan favorite without ever throwing a collegiate pass.

At Saturday’s spring game, the status quo stayed essentially the same. Renner, even with two interceptions, received much of the fan’s adoration with an otherwise stellar day. Yates, meanwhile, struggled early in a fairly forgettable effort.

“It was just like the tale of two quarterbacks,” safety Deunta Williams said. “It’s different styles. T.J. looked a lot better in practice. I think Bryn, for the most part, looked like himself. Courageous, bold, is a statement I’d use for him. He just throws the ball. He doesn’t think about it. He makes the plays. He’s a playmaker.”

Early on that was quite apparent with Renner, who was leading the White squad. On his team’s first possession, the redshirt freshman marched right down the field before throwing a rocket to wideout Greg Little in the back of the end zone.

“I tried to step up a little more because we’re out there in front of the fans, and I want to show them what I can do,” Renner said. “We took it to another level from practice.”

By game’s end, Renner had gone 15-of-21 for 184 yards passing, including a highlight-reel, 55-yard deep bomb to Dwight Jones down the field. His teammates and coaches were clearly impressed.

Little was shocked by Renner’s composure and calmness, mustering up after the game that his quarterback came to play today. Williams oozed respect, remarking that Renner makes a defensive back prove his worth every time out. And Davis?

“I think in the quarterback aspect, clearly Bryn Renner had an outstanding day today,” he said. “His effectiveness was really good, and his huddle presence was good.”

Davis’ words about Yates weren’t as heartwarming.

“By the same token, I don’t think T.J. had one of his better days,” he said. “(Yates) got off to a slow start, but I thought he caught some composure in the middle of the scrimmage.”

The Tar Heel incumbent at quarterback didn’t complete a pass for positive yardage until just 20 seconds remained in the first quarter. He was sacked five times. And he threw for only 122 yards with one interception.

But with a ragtag group of offensive linemen, including freshman James Hurst protecting his blind side, Yates wasn’t getting much help. The running game for his Blue team was fairly nonexistent until late in the game. And, as Williams pointed out, it’s just the spring.

Still, that didn’t stop Yates from issuing a dose of self-criticism.

“I didn’t like the way I played, but I never do,” the rising redshirt senior said. “I’m always such a perfectionist.”

He’ll have to be moving forward if he wants to keep his starting job. Davis said that Yates has earned the opportunity to win or lose his spot, though the quarterback race won’t be decided until close to 10 days before the LSU game in September.

So for now, fans will just have the spring game as their own determinant. Though for Yates, that’s probably not his favorite judger.

“Yeah (it was one of my worst days of spring practice),” he said. “It was just one of those days where things weren’t really clicking.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.