Democrats lose recognition in race against Burr

A new poll out of the Raleigh-based Public Policy Polling shows that both democratic challengers to U.S. Sen. Richard Burr, R-N.C., have lost momentum since the May primary.

Secretary of State Elaine Marshall and Cal Cunningham are heading to a June 22 runoff for the nomination, but name recognition has dropped with both of them, giving Burr a chance despite his low approval ratings.

Marshall dropped from having 44 percent of N.C. voters having an opinion of her to only 37 percent, and voters who have an opinion of Cunningham dropped from 34 percent to 26 percent.

Burr’s approval ratings have remained the same for the last four months with 37 percent giving him poor marks and 35 percent approving of his performance.

However, Burr holds a 13-point lead on both Democrats among independents, up from a single-digit lead in May.

“Burr is unpopular but his opponents aren’t well known enough yet to fully capitalize on his vulnerability,” said Public Policy Polling Director Tom Jensen.

“The eventual nominee’s ability to seize the spotlight — and stay in it — will determine whether Democrats can pull the upset this fall.”

Mark Giangreco, spokesman for the N.C. Democratic Party, said that the most shocking result from the poll is that Burr continues to have such low approval numbers.

"Only one in three voters in North Carolina has a positive impression on what he's doing in Washington, and so we feel that there's plenty of time for the eventual democratic nominee to catch up to Burr," Giangreco said.

"He's had six years to make an impression on voters and he's failed to do that."

The N.C. Democratic Party will begin backing whichever candidate clinches the nomination on June 22, and will collaborate closely with Organizing for America, the continuation of the 2008 grassroots campaign for Obama.

"We'll be working to turn out democratic voters," Giangreco said. "We'll be talking to Democrats, Republicans, independents and also some of the so-called surge voters that voted for President Obama in 2008."

The 2010 general election is expected to unseat incumbents, both republicans and democrats, and fundraising will be integral in determining whether Cunningham or Marshall will ultimately be able to unseat Burr.