County sludge draws concern

Water standards come under ?re

Environmental groups across the state are raising a stink over sludge.

The Blue Ridge Environmental Defense League in conjunction with N.C. Sen. Ellie Kinnaird, D-Orange, held a press conference June 21 to discuss public health and the environment, and they are still waiting for answers.

Some groups argue sludge will contaminate water unless the state holds it to stricter standards. They are calling for a moratorium on spreading the sludge in the state’s critical watersheds, which they said is happening in Orange County.

Orange Water and Sewer Authority has a 2006 permit that allows the spreading of sludge, or biosolids — the solid byproduct that comes from treating dirty water and sewage — in Orange, Chatham and Alamance counties.

Some of the permitted sites are within their respective county’s defined critical watershed area; however, they are not within the area the state defines as a critical watershed.

The state deems treated sludge safe to dump in areas cleared by state permits, but groups including the league argue that even treated biosolids — regulated for certain chemicals — are harmful.

Sue Dayton, coordinator for the League’s N.C. Healthy Communities Project, said sludge is harmful because of some contaminants.

“The potential effects are very scary,” Dayton said.

The effects of biosolids on groundwater are important because the league said the state allotted permits to eight fields in the state, permits which they say violate the 1992 Watershed Water Supply Protection Act.

One of these permits affects the city of Burlington and Orange County.

“Our biosolids are of ‘Exceptional Quality’ under U.S. Environmental Protection Agency regulations, and we are not aware of any evidence they are harmful,” Wastewater Treatment and Biosolids Recycling Manager for OWASA Damon Forney wrote in an e-mail.

Forney said that when the state issued OWASA’s land application permit in 2006, it was legal under state guidelines to spread biosolids on those areas.

OWASA said the state is not at odds with its own legislation. The conflict continues because the state and county designate different areas as critical watersheds.

“No biosolids have been spread on the two properties noted within the county’s critical watershed since June 2008,” Forney wrote.

For Myra Dotson, resident of Bingham Township in Orange County, it’s a public health issue.

She lives less than a quarter mile away from a sludge field. Because of this, she said most neighborhood residents don’t drink the tap water.

Dotson has been diagnosed with Stage 1 environmental chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, which causes intense sinus infections and swelling. She believes this is caused by living near a sludge field.

“People buy Kleenex in the winter. I buy Kleenex 365 days a year.”

Contact the City Editor at citydesk@unc.edu. County