Davis speaks on NCAA investigation

In his first meeting with the press since news of an NCAA investigation into his North Carolina football program broke last Thursday, head coach Butch Davis did not go into the particulars of the investigation but did offer his thoughts on the situation in general.

Davis was among five area college football coaches at the Pigskin Preview, a fundraiser for the Triangle chapter of the National Football Foundation, at the Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club in Durham.

N.C. State’s Tom O’Brien, Duke’s David Cutcliffe, East Carolina’s Ruffin McNeill and N.C. Central’s Mose Rison joined Davis at the luncheon.

Davis fielded questions from the media for more than eight minutes, all pertaining to the investigation and its effects in some way.

“I know there’s a lot of people sitting here today that would love to have a lot of answers,” Davis said. “As we go through this review, there’s things obviously that the NCAA has asked us not to comment on. One thing I can share with you is that the University of North Carolina is doing absolutely everything from a cooperating standpoint.

“The NCAA has assured us that they will make this as quick and as soon as possible will (expedite) it.”

Last week, investigators interviewed defensive tackle Marvin Austin and wide receiver Greg Little, both rising seniors, about possible improper deals and benefits with agents.

Other investigations have been launched at the University of South Carolina, Alabama and Georgia since investigators visited the Chapel Hill campus.

Davis did not name any players and refused to answer a question when one reporter mentioned Austin. He was uncommonly terse when asked about the depth at defensive tackle — Austin’s position.

“We’ve probably got about seven or eight kids that we had counted on to participate and play at the beginning of the season,” he said.

Davis talked heavily about agents and his sentiments towards how they are able to communicate with college players.

“The difficult part of it is the people that deal unethically,” Davis said. “The people who want to jump the gun and get a competitive edge. There’s no place for that in collegiate athletics.”

More than a decade ago, the process of collegiate players and agents was black and white, Davis said.

But with changing times and loopholes, the line agents were once behind has become blurred.

“When the NCAA c hanged the rules to allow agents to be able to visit with players 18 months before the end of their eligibility of the end of their graduation, I think it’s made everyone in America’s job tougher,” he said.

Rachel Newman Baker, the NCAA director of agent, gambling and amateurism activities, addressed the ongoing investigations in a press release Thursday.

“Maintaining amateurism is crucial to preserving an academic environment where acquiring a quality education is the first priority,” she said. “NCAA rules allow conversations and information gathering between agents and student-athletes, but agreements and receiving extra benefits are not permitted.”

Cutcliffe said the problems colleges are facing with improper deals and benefits between agents and players is too big for the NCAA to handle and that is has reached a level of federal proportions.

“If we’re going to talk about steroid use in Congress, we better start talking about agents and their practices in dealing with minors and illegally enticing people,” Cutcliffe said.

The third-year Blue Devils head coach said he sympathizes with Davis and the UNC football program after being part of the rules violation-happy Southeastern Conference for the larger portion of his career.

“With a coach and athletic director like Butch Davis and Dick Baddour, what’s hurtful is that they’re worried about kids and their lives. They’re not worried about just the program,” Cutcliffe said.

Along with the issue of agents, Davis also touched on his staff.

“(They) take a great deal of pride in doing things ethically, honestly,” he said.

“Kids make mistakes. That’s why they call you a coach and a teacher. It gives you an opportunity to help them learn from their mistakes.”