Mo' Money Mo' Classes: Tuition increase is not as bad as it might seem

A $950 tuition increase is not a good way to start off the school year, but it was what had to be done.

The N.C. General Assembly authorized campuses to increase tuition to a maximum of $750. N.C. State University, UNC-Chapel Hill and UNC School of the Arts all opted for the maximum.

On July 14, UNC-system President Erskine Bowles approved the $750 tuition increase for those campuses in the fall.

This tuition increase, along with a $200 increase approved last year, will make UNC-Chapel Hill’s tuition increase by a total of $950.

The General Assembly cut $70 million from the UNC system next year. Of the $70 million, $20 million is being eliminated from UNC-CH.

To combat the number of students who will not be able to afford the hike, 20 percent of the $750 will go toward financial aid. The entirety of the previously approved $200 will also go toward financial aid.

Unfortunately, middle-class students who do not qualify for financial aid will be the most affected by the increase.

UNC-system cuts during the past three years have been drastic. About 900 positions and $575 million in spending have been eliminated.

But without this hike, more drastic cuts would have occurred — such as the removal of course sections and instructor layoffs.

Students do not come to UNC-CH just for the low tuition. They come to receive a quality education.

Without the hike, UNC-CH’s quality could have been tarnished, and students should not let the increase spoil the year.

Students will have the opportunity see how the money will be appropriated by looking at UNC’s Tuition Visibility Report, first implemented by Student Body President J.J. Raynor.

This tool will allow students to voice their concerns if they disagree with how tuition money is being spent.

Students should let their money do the talking.