One dead, two taken to hospital in Horace Williams crash

A plane crashes at the Horace Williams Airport

Police investigate a plane crashed at the Horace Williams airport Monday.

Updated: 3:15 p.m. with statement from survivor’s family.

There was a plane crash at 3:05 p.m. Monday at Horace Williams Airpoirt, said Randy Young, spokesman for the UNC Department of Public Safety.

The four-passenger Cirrus SR20 plane, registered in Wilmington, Del., signaled in for a landing before crashing in the trees on the far side of the runway.

The News Journal of Wilmington, Del., has identified the pilot, who was confirmed dead on the scene, as Thomas F. Pitts and the co-pilot, who was in critical condition, as Jim Donohu.

Kyle Henn, the only passenger, was taken to the hospital. His brother is Nate Henn, who was the lone American killed Sunday in Kampala, Uganda after a bomb went through crowds at a restaurant watching the World Cup final, his sister, a UNC student, told The Daily Tar Heel.

“We are so grateful to both of the pilots for everything they did on our behalf and are both touched and broken by the events. Our thoughts and prayers are with them and their families,” Henn’s family said in a press statement.

The National Transportation Safety Board is expected to arrive today to investigate the crash, and the airport is currently closed to air traffic.