Tobacco shops dodge ban

Shop opens in Hookah Bliss’ old spot

When Hookah Bliss was forced to close in the spring because of the state indoor smoking ban, the community rallied behind the establishment in hopes of keeping it open.

But the ban is not keeping new tobacco shops from coming to the area.

Smoke Rings, a tobacco shop, opened in Hookah Bliss’ old spot on Franklin Street earlier this month.

Shop employees declined to comment and the store lacks a website. Some say the shop is a chain with other locations in North Carolina.

Expressions, a tobacco shop in the downtown Bank of America building, will be opening a new hookah lounge in the coming weeks as an extension of its existing store.

Because a hookah-only business model is rarely profitable, the store is banking on its established success rather than on alcohol profits, which many hookah bars relied on before the ban.

“The store is doing really well, so we’re hoping between the two we’ll be OK,” said Expressions employee Vanessa Krailler.

The new hookah lounge approached Hookah Bliss owner Adam Bliss about a job, hoping to benefit from his expertise. Bliss said he offers his best wishes but did not accept the offer.

He said he is not planning on opening another hookah bar in the near future, but he would seize the opportunity to be a business partner with someone who is.

It’s been six months since the ban went into effect, and Bliss is still frustrated by the legislation.

“You’ve just got to wonder what’s next,” Bliss said. “They’re going through and shutting down anything they don’t approve of.”

Bliss, who is now working as a mortician, is not associated with Smoke Rings.

The ban, which went into effect in January, prohibits smoking in most bars and restaurants. Exemptions were made for cigar bars and private clubs, but not hookah bars.

Krailler echoed the sentiment felt by the community when Bliss was forced to close his business.

“He was pretty much police-escorted out,” she said. “It was a very emotional thing for him to get shut down.”

The Juggling Gypsy, a Wilmington-based hookah bar and entertainment parlor that serves alcohol, was forced to take a new approach to circumvent the ban.

It has switched to offering herbal shisha, a tobacco and nicotine-free blend of herbs, indoors. Tobacco smoking is still allowed in the outdoor section.

Juggling Gypsy employee Ted Roberts said he feels confident that the ban’s effect on hookah bars is an oversight and not a pointed attack.

“Once they’re all made aware of what’s happened to hookah bars because of this, they’ll pass a provision,” he said.