Hey Tar Heels, welcome back!

Whether it’s your first year at UNC or you’re coming back after a summer away, we hope you’ve gotten a chance to rediscover our beautiful campus, catch up with good friends and recover from lugging heavy boxes into your new place. It’s great to see campus come alive again!

For many of you this is your first week of life at college, which can be pretty exhilarating; be sure you get out to the various Week of Welcome events to learn about some of UNC’s annual traditions, such as the Carolina Block Party this Saturday night.
Also, attend new programs like the Carolina Green Sustainability Social or the Midnight Mystery Tour — both today. These are great ways for you to start making the most of your UNC experience while also meeting fellow classmates.

As the student leaders of the Executive Branch of Student Government, we are dedicated to serving you throughout the entire year. Student Government has a long-standing tradition of being the main vehicle for student civic engagement across a broad range of issues on all levels of the University.

This year is no different; our administration strives to be inclusive through Cabinet committees, External Appointments and collaborative campus initiatives to best represent all students across both policy and program initiatives.

The Medlin administration has had a busy summer working on projects to improve your UNC experience. We will send out the first Student Government newsletter — the Carolina Monthly Look — this semester so that you can stay on top of campus happenings. In light of the new tuition hikes, we have updated the Tuition Visibility Report so you know exactly where your tuition dollars are going.

More than keeping you informed, we want you to get involved! The executive branch has dozens of committees that need student input. If you have a wide variety of interests in things like public service, student life or academic affairs, consider filling out the common application for Student Government.

You tell us what you are interested in and we’ll recommend the right committee that fits your skills and passions.

Applications are available Aug. 30 through Sept. 8. If you are more interested in very specific initiatives across campus like renewable energy special projects, LGBTQ life or campus recreation, consider applying for an external appointment. There are over 35 committees that target specific University issues which can be applied for Aug. 24 through Sept. 3.

The applications for both student government and external appointments will be available at www.unc.edu/studgov. Join us in the Rams Head Plaza on Thursday, Sept. 2 from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. to meet this year’s administration and learn more about getting involved.

Once again, we are excited to start another amazing year. Enjoy your first week of classes and go eat lunch on the quad!

Hogan Medlin is the Student Body President. He is a senior political science major from Eden, NC. Email him at medlin2@email.unc.edu

Holly Boardman is Student Body Vice President. She is a senior biology and romance languages major from Brentwood, TN. Email her boardman@email.unc.edu