Correction (August 31, 12:00 a.m.): Due to an editing error in this letter to the editor, Alex Loizias’ role in Extended Disaster Relief was mischaracterized. She is the chairwoman. The letter has been updated to reflect the correction. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for the error.

The speed with which the public forgets disasters is evident in the wake of recent tragedies such as the earthquake in Haiti.

Unfortunately, disasters do not end when they are forgotten. Hurricane Katrina made landfall in the Gulf Coast just over five years ago today. As one of the most devastating disasters in American history, close to 1,800 Americans died in the wake of the hurricane, and nearly one million Americans became internally displaced in our own country.

Following the storm, several Katrina survivors made their homes here at UNC-CH, and in our Chapel Hill community.

Extended Disaster Relief (EDR), a committee of the Campus Y dedicated to long term disaster relief, invites the UNC community to a candlelight vigil tonight at 8:30 p.m. in the brick courtyard of the Campus Y, to remember those who died and to recognize the need for continued disaster relief in the Gulf Coast.
Though the waters have long subsided, there are hundreds of families still living in FEMA trailers, and thousands more who have yet to rebuild — the Gulf Coast is not okay.

Alex Loizias
Chairwoman
Extended Disaster Relief