David Price discusses political career, concerns

David Price
Congressman David Price speaks at a general body meeting of the UNC Young Democrats at the Student Union on Monday night. Price, the representative for North Carolina’s 4th District, gave his perspective to a crowded audience and took students’ questions.

At an event sponsored by the Young Democrats on Monday, U.S. Rep. David Price, D-N.C., told students that despite what has been described as one of the most productive sessions of Congress, more needs to be accomplished.

“As proud as we are of what we have achieved, we need to look forward,” Price said.

Price, who represents all of Orange and Durham counties, as well as parts of Wake and Chatham counties, discussed not only the challenges facing the country and the Democratic party, but also the events in his life that led him to consider his political views.

With two months left before the midterm elections, Price’s seat is considered safe even though Democrats are expected to suffer heavy losses and Republicans have a chance of taking over the House of Representatives.

Price said he was encouraged by the Young Democrats and was excited to work with the organization in the future, but he acknowledged that winning a single election is not enough to motivate change.

“Do we want to turn the keys over to the guys who drove this economy into a ditch?” he said.

Young Democrats, which has long had a positive relationship with the congressman, said Price contacted them about speaking to students.

“We’re always very proud to have Congressman Price representing us,” said Young Democrats President Lee Storrow.

“He’s a great champion for us and for our cause.”

More than 120 people filled Room 3205 of the Student Union originally, but the crowd had to be thinned out about 20 minutes after Price began speaking, when club officers were informed the numbers constituted a fire code violation.

The room is designed to hold 60 people, so those standing or sitting on the ground were moved just outside the room for the remainder of the speech.

Despite the move, the crowd remained enthusiastic.

Freshman student Elizabeth Hawryluk said that having Price as a speaker would make her more likely to join Young Democrats.

“I really like how they had a representative share his views,” she said. “It’s very different from high school.”

Price talked to students like Hawryluk, who are interested in politics, about his own political beginnings.

His biggest moment came when he was a junior at UNC, he said, when a motion he proposed to send a message to Chapel Hill vendors to serve all people, regardless of race, passed by a single vote.

“It made me aware of the power of politics,” Price said.

Price praised the withdrawal of combat troops from Iraq, as well as the repeal of the military’s “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy.

While Price didn’t speak specifically to his future political plans, he did urge audience members to stay active in registering voters.