Fall Fest organized to help ease first week for freshmen

Follow seniors Aimielisa Hook and Alan Moore to see how many free things a person can get at Fall Fest.

Amid glittery poster boards, outgoing greetings and attention-grabbing costumes, many upperclassmen may have noticed a new feature of Fall Fest 2010: more organization.

Fall Fest student groups were purposely positioned by student government into like-minded sections to make navigating the crowds a bit easier for all students.

Student Body President Hogan Medlin said he received feedback from freshmen in 2009 that many knew what they were looking for — but couldn’t find it.

Medlin said he made it his mission this year to preserve the excitement of the annual Week of Welcome event while attempting to manage the chaos. Maps of the festival, which spanned the entirety of South Road, were e-mailed to students a few days before the festival.

Medlin said he hoped many students would print out the maps to use at the festival. In previous years, he said groups typically were placed at tables based on a first-come, first-serve basis.

He added that the previous system made the night even more overwhelming for freshmen who often arrive with little idea of what they hope to achieve at UNC.

Despite the slightly competitive atmosphere, senior Monica Doyle, who was recruiting dancers for Carolina Vibe, said the new system was helpful for incoming dancers.

“Being all together will help them choose between us,” Doyle said.

She added that many dancers would likely try out for multiple groups and join several listservs.

Jon Curtis, associate director of activities and organizations, said more than 220 student groups participated in Fall Fest 2010 — the highest turnout since it began in 1997.

“Fall Fest gives new students the opportunity to see all the great things Carolina has to offer, while also offering a chance for returning students to find something new,” Curtis said.