Barth and Jones lead special teams squad

The North Carolina special teams unit will return a number of key starters in the fall. Thus, it will be expected to improve upon last season’s mediocre numbers.

The special teams squad failed to crack the top three in any category among ACC schools last year and finished in the bottom half of the conference in three categories.

Barth is coming off a career season last year in which he led the team with 97 points and was selected to the all-conference second team. Despite the accolades, Barth has always struggled with long-distance kicking.

Barth, who is entering his third season as the starter, has made great strides since his freshman year, when he connected on only 10 of 15 field goal attempts.

Barth knows better than anyone the uncertainty of the kicking position after N.C. State blocked a routine, potentially game-winning 38-yard field goal in last year’s regular season finale. But Barth said he has every bit of confidence in one thing this coming season — junior place-holder Trase Jones.

“He’s awesome,” he said. “I don’t even worry about the snap or hold anymore just because I know that he’s going to be perfect every time.”

Returning for the unit will also be veteran punter Grant Schallock, who ranked sixth in the ACC with 40.3 yards per punt, and Da’Norris Searcy, who assumed the punt and kick return duties for the Tar Heels last season.