Prominent coach and recruiter John Blake steps down at UNC

Correction (September 7, 12:00 p.m.): Due to an error, The Daily Tar Heel misidentified UNC assistant coach Troy Douglas as John Blake in a photo previously attached to this story. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for the error.

North Carolina football’s second-in-command John Blake announced his resignation on Sunday, amid whispers of his involvement in the NCAA investigation.

Blake’s sudden resignation, one day after a loss to Louisiana State University, could mean the NCAA investigation is more damning than football officials had previously let on.

In the press release, which also included statements from Butch Davis and athletic director Dick Baddour, Blake said that he felt his “presence has become a distraction to my family and to this great University, too.”

Blake had been linked to agent Gary Wichard by a Yahoo! Sports report. The report alleged that Blake used to be the vice president of football operations for Wichard’s professional agency, and that the NCAA was investigating the nature of that relationship.

Blake, who was also recruiting director and defensive line coach, was brought in when Davis got the job as UNC’s head coach in 2006.

In that position, he recruited many top-tier players to the University, including defensive tackle Marvin Austin, who is now suspended for violating team rules.

Davis and Blake were long-time colleagues, as the two worked together for the Dallas Cowboys as far back as 1993.

“Knowing John as I have over the years, it is clear that this was a difficult decision for him to make,” said Davis in his prepared statement. “I know how much John loves the players, coaching and the game of football. I am grateful for all of his hard work and effort in helping build this program.”

Blake said in his statement that he has grown to “love and respect” UNC, the football coaches and student athletes.

“That love and respect has led me to the conclusion that the best decision for all involved is for me to step aside at this time,” he said. “I wish the players, the coaches and the University all the best.”

Blake drew criticism from South Carolina head coach Steve Spurrier, who weighed in on the Yahoo! Sports article which alleged that Blake had a relationship with Wichard.

“Let me just say this: When you’ve been in coaching as long as I have, we know the reputation of almost all the coaches out there that have been around a long time,” Spurrier told The (Columbia, S.C.) State several weeks ago. “So I guess what I would say is that article’s not very surprising. That’s about the least I should say about it.

“We all have a reputation, especially guys who’ve coached 20 years or so. It’s hard to hide whatever your reputation is.”

Baddour announced in his statement that Blake would be paid the rest of his paycheck for the season, which comes out to $74,500.

Baddour also said the remaining balance would be paid entirely using football revenues.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu