The Daily Tar Heel celebrates move to a new off-campus home

Staff, locals attend ribbon-cutting

Sarah Frier, editor-in-chief of The Daily Tar Heel, cuts a ribbon to commemorate the newspaper’s new office on East Rosemary Street. The DTH moved in June to its new location from the Frank Porter Graham Student Union.

The Daily Tar Heel staff and community members gathered Wednesday to cut a long Carolina blue ribbon commemorating the newspaper’s downtown office.

Officials and staff from the Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce sponsored the celebratory event.

“It’s very exciting and great news for downtown,” said Aaron Nelson, president and CEO of the chamber. “It will bring more than 100 students downtown, enliven the area and have a positive effect on area restaurants.”

The office moved in June from a space in the Frank Porter Graham Student Union — its location of 40 years — to 151 E. Rosemary St.

The move more than doubled the space to almost 6,500 square feet and features a multimedia studio, conference room and a larger space for advertising staff to help the paper expand.

“We will be able to cover more ground as a sales force and have more space for our marketing team, which will help us cater our distribution to the Carolina community,” said Megan McGinity, advertising and marketing director for the paper.

“Our digital-only sales team will also have space. I also expect our revenue to increase.”

Editor-in-Chief Sarah Frier, who held the ceremonial giant scissors, said the transition off campus was easier than anticipated.

“At the DTH we are trying to be better every day,” she said. “The new office is a better setting for that exchange of ideas.”

Frier said The Daily Tar Heel is also taking steps to increase safety for staff members walking home at night.

“The new office is a trek from places like South Campus,” she said. “But, we have parking passes after 5 p.m. for editors, a potential crosswalk in front of the office and the P2P bus stop was moved closer to our office.”

And despite moving downtown, Frier said the newspaper received the same number of staff applications it did last year.

“The office is such a good working environment and it’s not much farther from the journalism school than it was before,” she said.

“I think people will always come to the DTH. It’s the best place to get journalism experience and now we have the space to do it.”