Duke College Republicans lose charter, funding

Senate ruling holds for two years

Clarification (Sept. 9, 1:12 p.m.) Duke University’s College Republicans have lost their funding from the student government. Although the senate also voted to de-charter the club, it still has to be approved by the Student Organizational Finance Committee.

After months of dodging complaints and defending their actions, Duke University’s College Republicans lost their charter and funding Wednesday night.

The university’s student senate de-charterd the club by a two-thirds vote and de-funded them by a 20-3 vote. If the university’s Student Organizational Finance Committee approves the senate’s decision by a majority vote, the ruling will stand for the next two years.

Senators were presented discriminatory e-mails and anonymous threatening messages received by former chairman of the club Justin Robinette and his supporters, who say they were harrassed by the members of the club.

The senate’s actions were a big victory for Robinette, who has claimed since April that he was impeached by the organization’s executive board for being gay.

Their actions come after Robinette and eight other plaintiffs were denied a hearing against the College Republicans by the student judiciary last month on allegations of harassment and discrimination. The judiciary had ruled that those allegations fell outside of their jurisdiction.

“I really do feel like it’s a victory for us and the Duke student body and whoever cares about harrassment,” Robinette said.