Duke Student Government President vetoes defunding

College Republicans' chaiman and vice-chaiman resign

Duke Student Government President Mike Lefevre vetoed the student senate’s decision to defund the university’s College Republicans on Friday.

Lefevre’s veto comes after the resignation of Chairman Carter Boyle and Vice-Chairman Travis Rapp.

Lefevre had told The Daily Tar Heel Thursday that he would consider vetoing the bill if the club recognized its wrongdoings and made some internal changes.

The senate voted 20-3 to de-fund the club Wednesday night after seeing evidence compiled by the club’s former chairman Justin Robinette and his supporters, who say there were harrassed by the club.

The evidence included discriminatory e-mails and anonymous threatening messages received by Robinette and others.

“Cowardly, premature, irresponsible. All describe Mr. Lefevre’s egotistical actions,” said Cliff Satell, who had claimed he was blackmailed and harrassed by the club’s members, in an e-mail. “He injected himself without cause, thereby silencing not only the Senate, but the entire Student Body it represents.”

Although Lefevre vetoed the senate’s decision to de-fund the club, the College Republicans could still be de-chartered. The Student Organization Finance Committee will be meeting in the upcoming meetings to vote on the fate of the club’s charter.