SEC powerhouse to be UNC's first big test

On Saturday, North Carolina might play the most important game in the history of its program.

That day, the No. 18 Tar Heels will take the field against No. 21 Louisiana State in ABC’s nationally televised Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game held in Atlanta. But the implications of that game might affect the national picture more than the game itself.

While North Carolina did notch a 20-3 record and a top-five finish over the last two years of the Mack Brown era, the UNC-LSU game could symbolize UNC’s re-induction into the upper tier of college football teams.

“When we were first approached about the game, it was one of those things where you thought, and maybe said, ‘OK, what could this potentially do for our football program?’” UNC coach Butch Davis said on ACC Media Day.

“It’s a great measuring stick. I mean, LSU has won two national championships in the last ten years.”

Of course, before UNC can reap the benefits of a potential win, it must get through the Tigers.

LSU has been one of the Southeastern Conference’s most successful teams of the last decade. But in the past few seasons, the Tigers have hit a small slump. Last season the Tigers finished 9-4 but lost more than half of their starters at the end of last season.

LSU is returning only four defensive starters and six offensive starters from last year, but that doesn’t mean the Tigers will be any less prepared. LSU coach Les Miles regularly brings in top-10 recruiting classes and has a lot of players in the stables just itching for their turn to start.

Last season, the Tigers finished ranked in the top 15 in scoring defense and will likely field another potent defensive unit.

The biggest questions for the Tigers revolve around the offense and likely starting quarterback Jordan Jefferson.

Last season, Jefferson led the Tigers with 17 touchdown passes and only seven interceptions.

Jefferson also either passed or ran the ball in 53 percent of the Tigers’ plays, and that was with Charles Scott and Keiland Williams in the backfield.

Scott and Williams were the two leading running backs, but neither received a significant number of carries. Both players graduated after last season, along with three wide receivers, which will put even more of the responsibility on Jefferson.

As for the Tigers’ defense, it will likely start with their cornerbacks Patrick Peterson and Morris Claiborne. Peterson is a lockdown corner and has first-round NFL draft potential. Claiborne didn’t start any games last season, but when he played, the rising sophomore showed promise.