Strong secondary unit returns for Tar Heels

Although often masked by the disappointment of an inefficient offense and a less-than-perfect conference record, the sixth-ranked North Carolina defense was the bright spot of last year’s football season.

For safety Deunta Williams, it just was not bright enough.

“We were outstanding last year,” he said. “I remember one game we held a team to zero percent on third down. We were third in the nation in third downs, and we still felt like that wasn’t good enough.”

Soon after the Tar Heels’ 19-17 loss to Pittsburgh in the Meineke Car Care Bowl last December, UNC got a much-needed pick-me-up when Williams and cornerback Kendric Burney announced they would bypass the 2010 NFL draft and return to Chapel Hill for their senior seasons.

Coupled with the return of safety Da’Norris Searcy and cornerback Charles Brown, the experienced secondary is sure to help make UNC’s dream of becoming the top defense in the nation a realistic one.

“We got to get other guys behind us ready just as much as we are,” Burney said. “We got to cut out on the little mistakes, little penalties. We got to be the craziest defense in college football, so that’s the biggest thing for us.”

The rookie defensive backs look like they might be prepared to follow in the footsteps of the veteran Tar Heels.

Mywan Jackson made a name for himself last April when he picked off two passes in the spring game.

Now, the Tar Heels will look to Jackson to be a playmaker when it really counts.

“When I came in as a freshman, I saw the intensity (the seniors) had, but I couldn’t imitate that,” Williams said. “But the young guys are picking up pretty fast.”

There’s no doubt the Tar Heel defense will have its work cut out for it this season. Florida State, N.C. State and Duke will keep the secondary on its toes, since all three ranked in the top 30 in passing yards per game nationally in 2009.

But with knock-out performances like the ones the secondary had last year, taking on offensive powerhouses might not be so daunting.

In last season’s victory against then-No. 12 Miami, Burney had a record-breaking 170 interception return yards on three picks and returned one of them for a touchdown. With six interceptions in 2009, Williams was tied for eighth in the nation and second in the conference.

And for all four senior starters in the secondary, there’s still business yet to be finished.