Student Congress seeks new members

Students ?ght to ?ll vacant seats

Student Congress
McKinney Brown explains what it means to be in Student Congress, where their money comes from and how to get involved Tuesday night.

Correction (September 2, 1:22 a.m.): Due to an editing error, a previous version of this story incorrectly stated the dates of the mandatory meetings when students are required to declare their candidacy. The meetings are Sept. 7 and Sept. 8. The story has been updated to reflect the correction. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for the error.

While some students fight to get seats in coveted classes, Student Congress leaders are fighting to fill empty seats in the 92nd Student Congress.

And new positions, as well.

In addition to the seven vacant seats spread across a range of districts, a new Congress Research Service initiative was brought to students’ attention Tuesday at a Student Congress interest meeting.

Student Congress Speaker Deanna Santoro said the project, which will track students’ approval of Student Congress’ actions, was introduced as a means to “hold Congress accountable” to students.

She said applications for the service initiative became available Tuesday night on the Student Congress website, congress.unc.edu, and will be due Friday.

Congress also debuted a new liaison position with the Residence Hall Association that would help approve funds for dormitory events, as well as a position with the executive branch outreach committee.

On Sept. 21, a special election will be held to fill seven open seats. Granville Towers, Middle Campus and South Campus districts each have one open seat. Two seats are vacant in both the off-campus district and the district for graduate students enrolled in the College of Arts and Sciences or the School of Education.

Interested students are required to declare their candidacy at one of two mandatory candidate meetings. Those meetings will take place Sept. 7 and Sept. 8 at 7 p.m. in the Board of Elections office in room 2500 of the Student Union.

Board of Elections Chairman Andrew Phillips said the vacancies are normal and can be caused by things as small as changes in student schedules and addresses.

Student Body Vice President Holly Boardman said the drama of last year’s runoff student body president election, while putting Student Congress in the campus limelight, might have caused some vacancies.

“Sometimes people see the bureaucracy and shy away from it,” she said.

Santoro said she is looking for more than a body to fill the vacant seats and encourages candidates who are outspoken and open to debate to run for office.

Freshman Jonathan Stupak said the meeting increased his awareness of student government’s role.

“Back at my school, it was a joke. Here, you’re actually responsible for impacting students’ experience,” he said.

Phillips said upperclassmen typically have an edge in elections because their established social networks help them campaign, but he said freshmen do sometimes run for — and win — vacant seats.