Student guest passes for football on sale

$50 for seat in student section

Gone, or at least diminished, are the days of hustled football ticket sales and students sneaking their non-UNC friends into games with borrowed One Cards.

A new policy announced Monday by the UNC Athletic Ticket Office will allow students to purchase guest passes for football games online. The passes for those games became available for purchase Monday. Passes for the East Carolina University and N.C. State University games will be available beginning the Monday before those games.

For $50 — the full general admission ticket price — non-UNC students can now purchase passes to the student section for any football game not included in the lottery.

If a student does buy these tickets, the student will be seated next to his or her guest or guests.

The ticket office collaborated with the Carolina Athletic Association to determine the policy, which was unveiled in a campuswide e-mail.

“I think having it online is going to be easier for students,” said Carolina Athletic Association President Brandon Finch.

Guest passes have previously been available through the ticketing office, but this is the first time they will be sold online, said Clint Gwaltney, associate athletic director for the Smith Center and ticket operations.

“It turned out that students weren’t knowledgeable, and it’s just not been widely publicized, so we decided to make them available online,” Gwaltney said.

In previous years, students have occasionally gotten their guests into the games by taking the One Cards of students who where not attending games and using them as false identification.

One of the primary purposes for making guest passes more accessible was to provide an incentive not to sneak guests in, said Claire Atwell, co-chairwoman of Carolina Fever.

The Oct. 2 game versus ECU and the Nov. 20 game against N.C. State both will require a student ticket distribution. Students must sign up for those games by midnight Sept. 22 and Nov. 10, respectively.

Though many students complimented the policy revisions, others said they were useless.

“It just seems a way for the University to earn a cheap buck because it’s so easy to find someone who isn’t going and borrow their One Card,” sophomore Jake Geer said.

Several said they believe the policy does not go far enough.

“I think it’s a nice idea, but I think it would be more beneficial to students if it were a discount price,” junior Tiffany Esinhart said. “If there were a way to connect different schools and recognize a discounted price, I think it would be really helpful.”