Students need to value others' views, study finds

Perspective-taking key to education

Universities nationwide might be emphasizing diverse viewpoints among students, but a new study found that they might not be pushing students to be tolerant of other perspectives.

The Association of American Colleges and Universities survey shows that 97 percent of university staff and 93 percent of students agreed that an important goal of college education should be to prepare students to value others’ views.

But only one-third of those surveyed strongly agreed that their institutions focused on encouraging students to understand various perspectives.

Caryn Musil, senior vice president of the organization that conducted the survey, said it’s important to be accepting of different viewpoints.

“Engaging in different views is key to learning and is useful in many areas, such as citizenship and work,” Musil said.

Andrew Perrin, associate sociology professor at UNC, said he was impressed with the percentage of students who reported their universities strongly encouraged learning from others’ viewpoints.

Perspective-taking is an educational tool that helps students understand other people’s viewpoints — whether they are political or cultural, Perrin said.

As the country becomes more diverse, respecting people’s views becomes even more important, and it’s no longer optional to ignore other viewpoints, Musil said.

The large gap in what students think and what should be happening can be solved through more interaction with the community, she added.

“It’s not just one person’s responsibility to promote perspective-taking, it’s everybody’s,” she said.

Perrin said faculty should help in facilitating the development of these new perspectives.

“Perspective-taking is the bread-and-butter of how we teach social sciences here,” said Perrin. “From a faculty standpoint, I think we do a great job, but I can’t speak for the campus in general.”

While professors sometimes influence students’ views on class material, they still give students a chance to develop their own opinions, said Sharessa Royster, a freshman biology major.

Despite the results of the study, more than half of the students surveyed felt that their ability to accept other perspectives had grown while in college.

Senior Jenni Tesh, history and German major, said most examples of insensitivity occur in the classroom, which is why professors promote tolerance more.

“Our campus is more liberal and there are diverse opinions,” Tesh said. “If there’s a median in the U.S. we’re above that.”

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.