UNC tied 17-17 with Jackets at halftime

Neither team has punted in the game

Wide receiver Erik Highsmith scored one touchdown in the first half against Georgia Tech.

North Carolina and Georgia Tech enter halftime knotted at 17 in the ACC opener for both squads at Kenan Stadium.

UNC has kept up with the Yellow Jackets’ offensive firepower, with the Tar Heels accumlating 225 yards in the first half against Georgia Tech’s 238.

UNC quarterback T.J. Yates continues his impressive 2010 play, passing 13 times and connecting on 11 for 158 yards. His 52-yard touchdown to Erik Highsmith in the first quarter gave UNC a 10-3 lead and his one-yard QB keeper put the Tar Heels back on top in the second.

Georgia Tech’s first touchdown came off an option pitch from Josh Nesbitt to Orwin Smith, who went untouched down the field for 73 yards. Nesbitt’s first completion of the game was a 23-yard touchdown to A-back Roddy Jones in the second quarter.

The Yellow Jackets will receive Casey Barth’s kick at the start of the second half. Neither team has turned the ball over nor punted so far in the match.

Follow @DTHsports on Twitter for live game updates and return to dailytarheel.com for a post-game story.